WHAT ARE ENERGY GELS?
energy gels are sports supplements specially designed for endurance sports athletes, e.g. runners, cyclists etc. to obtain energy efficiently and quickly, replenish depleted glycogen stores and delay fatigue.
In general terms, this type of product provides fast-absorbing carbohydrates, minerals and electrolytes. Its main objective is to maximise training and competition by preventing muscle fatigue.
WHAT ARE ENERGY GELS MADE OF?
Energy gels are mainly composed of carbohydrates that are rapidly absorbed and release energy quickly or slowly. They also often contain mineral salts or electrolytes , and
- During training or exercise : the quantity may vary depending on the level of demand and the type of gel in question. Indicated for training sessions or competitions lasting more than one hour, to be taken approximately every hour.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR A GEL TO TAKE EFFECT?
Gels, although fast acting, are not instantaneous. They usually take 5 to 10 minutes to take effect. Dissolving them in water can help speed up digestion.
HOW ARE GELS TRANSPORTED DURING TRAINING?
It will depend on the type of sport and equipment used for the development.
In triathlon they can be carried in small pockets located in the suit, and if not available, in a frame bag for the bike or a belt with specific compartments to carry them without getting in the way.
In running : they can be carried in a trouser pocket or fitted with a specific belt for energy gels.
In marathons, trails etc. it is recommended to carry a backpack with a hydration system and pockets to store the gels.
In cycling: we can store the gels in the jersey pockets.
WHAT ARE ENERGY BARS?
energy bars are sports supplements specially designed to provide energy, delay fatigue and replenish glycogen stores before or after training.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TAKING ENERGY BARS?
- They promote the recovery of glycogen stores after training, as well as to load them before training. May help fight fatigue.
- They are a source of energy during training.
- They are easy and convenient to carry and do not require any processing to be consumed.
WHAT ARE THE ENERGY BARS MADE OF?
Most energy bars are usually made from a cereal or nut base and seeds.
The most commonly used nut for making energy bars is the date due to its texture and sweetness, which makes it unnecessary to add artificial sweeteners. In its composition we can find minerals such as potassium and magnesium, and vitamin B3.
Cashews, peanuts, sultanas and almonds are also widely used.
The most common cereal used as a base for energy bars is oats. It is a very complete cereal nutritionally, it is gluten-free and has a large amount of fibre which improves intestinal transit.
WHAT TYPES OF ENERGY BARS ARE THERE?
- Energy bars composed almost exclusively of carbohydrates : They usually contain fruit pulp, honey or refined cereals as a source of simple sugars and complex carbohydrates. They provide very small amounts of protein, fat and fibre. They are quickly digested.
-Complete energy bars : In addition to simple and complex carbohydrates, they provide protein, dietary fibre and fat. This type of bar is recommended for times when immediate energy is not required and needs more time to be digested.
It is recommended to read carefully the composition of the selected bar, as many are made with nuts, and those that are not, may contain traces. Depending on the cereal, they may or may not contain gluten.
In case of doubt, it is recommended to consult a health or nutrition specialist.
WHEN TO TAKE ENERGY BARS?
- As a snack , either mid-morning, with a snack, as a dessert etc. for an extra contribution
-Before training : to ensure that we have the necessary amount of glycogen to carry out the training
- During training: especially recommended for endurance and long duration sports and those that are composed of rapidly absorbed carbohydrates.
-After training : it is recommended to combine with a protein source. They will help to replenish the glycogen stores used up during training.