What is rice flour?
Rice flour is a source of complex carbohydrates obtained from the milling of rice grains.
Rice is one of the most widely consumed foods around the world.
The main difference compared to other cereal flours is the amount of fibre and gluten it has, as it does not contain.
Brown rice flour has a lower glycaemic index and white rice flour has a higher glycaemic index.
Its nutritional value is similar to that of wheat flour: it is a very good source of carbohydrates, the main component of the whole grain is starch (80%). Starch is composed of amylose and amylopectin. It contains practically no fat. As for protein, it contains a lower proportion than other cereals, approximately 7% of the total.
It is a source of phosphorus, zinc, niacin and B vitamins . To increase fibre intake, it is recommended to choose a wholemeal version.
It is especially recommended for people with coeliac disease, diabetes, hypertension or cardiovascular problems.
What it is used for Functions and uses
Rice flour has many uses.It is a perfectly suitable option for the preparation of a multitude of recipes , exchanging traditional wheat flour for rice flour. For example, sponge cakes, pancakes, biscuits, biscuits, etc. It can also be added, as it is in powder form, to protein shake mixes.
Another use is as a thickener in sauces. Syrups, chocolates etc.
What are the benefits of rice flour?
-It is a good source of energy , either consumed before training, to make sure we fill our glycogen stores, or afterwards to replenish them.
- It has a high glycaemic index : so it is digested and absorbed quickly.
- Gluten-free. Suitable for coeliacs.
- It will help us to maintain a balanced diet and to have another source of carbohydrates. Great versatility .
- Rich in B vitamins : especially thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
- Contributes minerals such as phosphorus, and zinc
- It is easy to digest.
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
What is the difference between wheat flour and rice flour?
Wheat is one of the most widely used cereals in the food industry. It is also the one that contains the most gluten, unlike rice flour, which is gluten-free, making it a good choice for people with coeliac condition or intolerant to gluten.
Rice flour is the most commonly used alternative for people who follow a gluten-free diet.
How to make rice flour in the blender?
To make our own rice flour we will only need rice of our choice (white, brown).
It is not necessary to wash it first. If you do, let it dry completely, otherwise the flour will be sticky.
We will introduce the desired amount of rice ( 250-500 grams depending on the capacity of our blender. We can use a medium-high power. Wait until you see that the rice grains disappear and you obtain a fine texture.
Then we can sieve it with a sieve or put it directly into the container where we want to keep it. If you do not have a blender, another option is to use a coffee grinder.
Which flours are suitable for coeliacs?
- Rice flour.
- Oat flour: high in fibre, which helps reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Corn flour: high in calcium, magnesium, iodine, sodium, potassium and B vitamins.
- Quinoa flour: contains eight essential amino acids, as well as complex carbohydrates and omega 3 and 6.
- Chickpea flour: rich in vitamins A, C and E.
- Soybean flour: Contains phosphorus, is rich in protein, fat, calcium, iron and magnesium.
- Oat flour.
- Pea flour: high in vitamin C and low in calories.
- Chestnut flour: high in potassium and prevents hypertension. It has a sweet taste.
- Coconut flour: one of the flours with the highest fibre content, around 50%.
- Teff flour: Contains all eight necessary amino acids and is perfect for making dough with a high protein concentration.
Where to buy rice flour?
In Nutrimarket you can find a variety of rice flours of different flavours so that you can choose the most suitable to your tastes and needs.